Fun fact: my actual college degree is not in photography, but in EDUCATION! I love education! I am the type of girl that lays in bed and googles random things on my phone because I really want to learn the whys and whats of life. I love photography education. I included the photo above because it was taken on film after attending a film workshop with Jen Huang last spring (great experience!). The majority of my professional work is still on digital, but I never want to stop perfecting my craft.
Maybe it’s my love of education… Maybe it’s my passion to see my industry healthy and thriving… able to provide real careers to artists while making bride & grooms’ dreams come true for years to come… whatever it is, I’ve had ideas brewing in my heart for the last few months on a workshop that would really HELP the photographers I call my friends and peers. The kind of workshop where you go, and you come away feeling empowered, equipped and energized. Not the kind of workshop where you leave wishing for a little bit more… I don’t think I can accomplish this alone, so I need your help!
This workshop is still in the stages of genesis right now. I can tell you a few things I know I want to accomplish if/when I host a workshop…
1. Education on running a business (AKA being profitable) I know so many of us (me included) that had to learn through the school of hard knocks what works and what doesn’t on running a profitable business. Many amazing artists I know couldn’t actually live off of their earnings from their art. I’d like to present a clear picture of profitability in our industry.
2. SOOC shooting techniques. We are not graphic designers, but photographers… I have a passion for creating a beautiful product during shooting through a combination of the right equipment, lighting and techniques.
3. Simple, quick, consistent and beautiful post production. I did not sign up to sit behind a computer my entire life when I signed up to be a photographer. I bet you didn’t either.
4. Organic marketing. What I mean by organic is that you can build a business off of marketing that happens almost naturally… not by spending $$$.
5. Lifestyle management. The ongoing struggle of running a business and not letting it run you!
These are just a few of the tenants I would like to focus on. I am on an ongoing journey as well, and would not only like to share the lessons learned on MY journey, but am planning on teaming up with OTHER professionals that shine in these areas and bringing them in so we can all glean from their wisdom.
Here’s where you come in: I would love to know what questions are on YOUR radar right now. What are the things you feel that if you had an answer to or a little boost in a certain area it could make your business run more smoothly? If you’re a seasoned veteran and mostly have it together, what holes do you see in the education of our industry right now? Shoot off your thoughts below!